• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 onion
• 1 garlic clove
• 1 carrot, halved and thinly sliced
• 450 grams young green cabbage, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
• 1 can chopped tomatoes
• ½ teaspoon dried thyme
• 2 bay leaves
• 1.5 litres chicken/vegetable stock
• 200 grams puy lentils
• 450 ml water
• Fresh coriander or parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion, garlic and carrot and cook for 3-4 minute
- Stir frequently until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the cabbage and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Add tomatoes, thyme and 1 bay leaf, then pour in stock.
- Bring to the boil and reduce heat to low and cook gently for about 45 minutes until vegetables tender
- Meanwhile put lentils in another saucepan with the remaining bay leaf and some water.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat, simmer for about 25 minutes until tender.
- Drain off water and set aside
- When the vegetable broth is cooked, allow to cool slightly then blend until smooth
- Add the cooked lentils and heat for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with garnish
You can download the recipe sheet and try this for yourself