• low-fat spread, for the tin, plus extra to serve
• 140g wholemeal flour
• 100g self-raising flour
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 300g mashed banana (from overripe bananas)
• 4 tablespoon honey or golden syrup or maple syrup
• 3 large eggs, beaten with a fork
• 150ml pot low-fat natural yogurt
• 25g chopped walnuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with (allow paper to come 2cm above top of tin).
- Mix the flours, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the bananas, syrup, eggs and yogurt.
- Quickly stir into dry ingredients, then gently scrape into the tin and scatter with nuts, if using.
- Bake for 1 hr 10 mins-1 hr 15 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in tin on a wire rack.
- Eat warm or at room temperature, with low-fat spread.