• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
• 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
• ½ stick celery, thinly sliced
• ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
• 30g unsalted butter
• 3 medium parsnips, thinly sliced
• 500ml chicken stock
• ground nutmeg
• crème fraiche (if desired)
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and cook onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, celery and thyme for 10 minutes over medium-low heat or until onion is soft.
- Add parsnips and stock.
- Bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are very soft.
- Puree soup and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- If the soup is too thick, thin with some water.
- If you like a creamy soup add some crème fraiche.
Download the recipe sheet to try the soup for yourself