During the 2019 Sustainable Growing course we all got really excited about foraging for Elderflower and making Elderflower Cordial. Rhonda’s was our favourite recipe and we are delighted to share it with you!
- Add 4lb of sugar to 2 pints of boiling water
- Add 2-3 oz of citric acid
- Add 2 lemons – grated rind and sliced (or limes. We all preferred limes)
- Stir until clear
- Collect 20 elderflower heads and shake (to remove insects)
- Add the flowerheads to the syrup, cover and leave overnight
- Next day strain (through muslin) and bottle
Download the recipe sheet and try it for yourself.
The recipe does use quite a lot of sugar but it does make a good amount of csyrup which is then diluted (around 1:8 ) to make a refreshing drink, so still better than cans of fizzy drink! Ice cold sparkling water, or soda water, work particularly well with the syrup.
The syrup can also be used to flavour other dishes. There are some great ideas here.