- 225g low calorie spread softened, plus extra for greasing the tin
- 450g cooking apples (such as Bramley)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 280g golden caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 350g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- A little sugar to sprinkle on the top
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Grease and line a rectangular baking tin (approx 27 x 20cm) with baking parchment.
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apples, then squeeze over the lemon juice. Set aside
- Put the spread, caster sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder into a large bowl and mix well until smooth.
- Spread half the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Arrange half the apples over the top of the mixture.
- Repeat the layers.
- Sprinkle sugar over top.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until golden and springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins, then turn out of the tin and remove the paper.
- Cut into bars, squares or slices.
Download the recipe sheet and try it for yourself