- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 carrot, halved and thinly sliced
- 450 grams young green cabbage, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 litres chicken/vegetable stock
- 200 grams puy lentils
- 450 ml water
- Fresh coriander or parsley to garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion, garlic and carrot and cook for 3-4 minute
- Stir frequently until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the cabbage and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Add tomatoes, thyme and 1 bay leaf, then pour in stock.
- Bring to the boil and reduce heat to low and cook gently for about 45 minutes until vegetables tender
- Meanwhile put lentils in another saucepan with the remaining bay leaf and some water.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat, simmer for about 25 minutes until tender.
- Drain off water and set aside
- When the vegetable broth is cooked, allow to cool slightly then blend until smooth
- Add the cooked lentils and heat for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with garnish
You can download the recipe sheet and try this for yourself