• 5 decent sized potatoes, peeled and quartered
• 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
• 1 carrot, chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• half garlic clove, minced
• 500g beef mince
• 1 pint beef stock (or use a stock cube)
• salt and pepper and low fat spread to taste
- Put the potatoes in a large pan, cover with cold water and put on heat to boil.
- Meanwhile add the oil to a heavy based pan (cast iron is great for this wholesome eat),
- Add carrot, onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn’t colour.
- Add the mince and cook till completely browned, then continue frying for a further 5 mins.
- Crumble one beef stock cube over the meat and add 1 pint of water (or alternatively use pre-made beef stock).
- Leave the pan slightly covered and simmer for 35 -45 mins. after which time you may season to your taste.
- Drain the potatoes and roughly mash with a little low fat spread to taste.
- Serve the mince with the hot potatoes.
Download the recipe sheet and try it for yourself