- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ stick celery, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 30g unsalted butter
- 3 medium parsnips, thinly sliced
- 500ml chicken stock
- ground nutmeg
- crème fraiche (optional)
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and cook onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, celery and thyme for 10 minutes over medium-low heat or until onion is soft.
- Add parsnips and stock.
- Bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are very soft.
- Puree soup and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
If you like a curried soup, add ground cumin or curry pwder to the ingredients at Step 1. You can leave out the thyme if you are adding spice.
If you like hot soup, you can add a finely chopped fresh chilli pepper instead of the thyme at step 1
If the soup is too thick, thin with some water.
If you like a creamy soup add some crème fraiche to each bowl before serving.
Download the recipe sheet to try the soup for yourself