- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ stick celery, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 30g unsalted butter
- 3 medium parsnips, thinly sliced
- 500ml chicken stock
- ground nutmeg
- crème fraiche (optional)
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and cook onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, celery and thyme for 10 minutes over medium-low heat or until onion is soft.
- Add parsnips and stock.
- Bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are very soft.
- Puree soup and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- If the soup is too thick, thin with some water.
- If you like a creamy soup add some crème fraiche.
Download the recipe sheet to try the soup for yourself