- 400g can butter beans or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 75g cheese (or vegetarian alternative), crumbled
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg beaten
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5
- Tip the butter beans into a bowl and mash with a fork to form a rough purée. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a small frying pan and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook over a gentle heat for 3-4 mins, until softened.
- Stir the onion mixture into the butter beans, along with the cheese, then season.
- Shape the mixture into 4 patties, cover and chill for 10 mins.
- Tip the flour, egg and breadcrumbs onto three separate plates.
- Roll each patty in the flour, dusting off any excess, carefully roll in the egg, then finally coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan and add burgers. Cook for 8-10 mins, turning occasionally until golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve
Download the RECIPE and try for yourself