- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 large celery sticks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1.2 litres/2 pints vegetable or chicken stock, made from a cube
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 100g/3½ dried spaghetti, broken into short lengths
- Handful of cabbage leaves, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large lidded saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery, season with a little salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Stir in the tomato purée and cook for a further three minutes.
- Tip in the tomatoes and stock.
- Cover with a lid and bring slowly to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and pasta and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked.
- Add the cabbage and cook for another 2 minutes.
- If the soup is too thick, add some hot water to reach your preferred consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
Download the recipe sheet to try this for yourself