- 1½ tsp olive oil
- 3 shallots, (or one medium onion) chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into slices on an angle
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, quartered (use a mix of mushroom types if you have them)
- 7 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 350ml “gravy” – stock mixed with gravy granules
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, or plain flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the shallots and carrot and fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add all the mushrooms and most of the thyme leaves and cook for 5–6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the gravy and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 2 minutes, then turn the heat down and add the tomato purée.
- Sift in the cornflour and ½ teaspoon salt and whisk in well.
- Cook for 7–8 minutes, then season with salt and pepper and add the rest of the thyme
Serve with creamy mashed potatoes or a crunchy slice of crusty bread.
You can dowload the recipe sheet and try it for yourself, HERE