These meat balls are super easy and great fun to make and they are deliciously tasty too.
- ½ lb lean mince or fish
- 1lb onions – finely chopped – Onions are growing free in all the community food gardens
- 2-3 cloves of garlic – growing in all the community food gardens
- 400 gms chopped tinned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 250 gms long grain rice
- Fresh herbs to taste – all of the community gardens are growing a fantastic selection of herbs so pop along and help yourself
- Wash the rice, add water and put on to boil
- When at full boil, stir in figure eight and then turn down heat as low as possible
- When all the water is absorbed (this takes about 20 mins) stir again and leave.
- Combine half of the chopped onion with mince (or fish)
- Take spoonfuls of mix and form into ping pong size balls – These balls do not have any binder, the trick is to ensure balls are tightly compressed
- Gently fry remaining the onions and garlic until softened
- Add tomatoes and herbs cook for approx. 8 mins until thickened
- Add the balls using a spoon to drop into the tomato and herb sauce
- Cook on fast simmer
- Add a little water if the tomato sauce mixture is drying out
DO NOT STIR THE MIXTURE IN THE PAN OR THE BALLS MIGHT BREAK APART.
Download the recipe sheet and try for yourself